What is the Belize QRP Program?
The Qualified Retired Persons Program (QRP) was created for those people who wish to live or retire in Belize. First, you must be able to prove a permanent and consistent income. This income can be from investment (abroad or in Belize), pension or other retirement benefits.
Also, anyone forty-five years and older, from anywhere in the world can qualify for the program. The retirement program offers many benefits. Anyone in this age bracket looking to make Belize a second home will want to consider this option. Also, you don’t even have to be retired to qualify for this program.
All persons who have been approved as a Qualified Retired Person, on first entering Belize, can import his or her personal effects. This would include any personal items, as well as a means of transportation ( Boat, motor vehicle or even a plane). All free of all import duties and taxes. This convenience would be a great way to make that beach villa or condo a cozy home away from home.
- Birth Certificate: A copy of a certificate for the applicant and each dependent.
- Marriage Certificate: (if married and spouse is a dependent)
- Authentic Police Record: Additionally, a police record from the applicant’s last place of residence, issued within one month before this application.
- Passport: Clear copies of passport (including all blank pages) of the applicant and all defendants that have been certified by a Notary Public. The photocopies must have the passport number, name of principal, number of pages and the seal or stamp of the Notary Public.
- Proof of Income: This can be:
a) An official statement from a bank or financial institution. The statement must certify that the applicant is the recipient of a pension or annuity of a minimum of Two Thousand Dollars (US $2000) per month.
b) A Financial Statement from a financial institution, bank, credit union, or building society in Belize. The statement must certify that the applicant’s investment or deposit will generate the sum, of a minimum of Two Thousand Dollars (US $2000) per month, or the equivalent of Twenty Four Thousand United States Dollars (US $24,000) per year.
- Medical Examination: Applicants should undergo a complete medical examination including an AIDS test. A copy of the medical certificate must be attached to the application.
- Photos: You must also submit, four front and four-side passport size photographs that have been taken recently of applicant and dependents.
It’s important to remember that Belize still proves to be one of the best places to retire in the world. If you would like more information, contact our team at REMAX Island Real Estate.