Moving Your Pets To Belize
Touring Ambergris Caye by boat and/or golf cart can be a memorable adventure. If you’re like me Belize will steal your heart and you won’t help but want to spend a good part of your life here. Chances are with the help of a Belize REMAX agent you’ll find a property that you’ll want to call home. Now that you’ve found your Belize dream property how do you get your belongings and go about the process of moving your pets to Belize? Well I’ll address getting your belongings here in another post. Right now we’ll focus on moving your pets to Belize.
You’ve likely done much online research and have found many conflicting ideas. This can make it seem difficult, but in reality its actually a very simple process that just takes a bit of planning. You definitely don’t want to just show up at the airport and expect it all to work out. The first thing you’ll need to do is check with BAHA (Belize Agricultural Health Authority) for up to date information on what is required as this may change from time to time.
What You’ll Need
- Valid import permit from BAHA… Here is the link for the application
- A recent veterinary certificate of health: ( 14 days prior to your travel date– can be obtained from your local veterinarian.)
- A valid rabies certificate: (not less than one month or more than one year prior to the date of importation into Belize. Can be included in the veterinary certificate.)
- Inspection by quarantine officer: (This process is done at point of entry into Belize. You’ll need to arrange in advance for an officer to met you there upon arrival.)
- US $12.50 entry fee + US $12.50 fax fee
(This figure may change, please be sure to contact BAHA for the most recent fees.)
- Other conditions as specified on BAHA’s website.
You’ll also need to check with the airlines as different airlines have different rules with regards to transporting certain breeds. All in all I hope that this is helpful in making your move to Belize simple and enjoyable! If additional information is needed feel free to contact us at RE/MAX Island Real Estate, we’re always happy to help. Hope to see you in Belize soon!!